- Marriage applications will not be accepted after 4:30 p.m. Please call the Clerk’s office if you have questions regarding this process.
- The marriage license is effective upon issuance and expires after 180 days.
- No license to marry shall be issued if, at the time of making application, either of the applicants is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotic drug.
Required to Obtain a Montana Marriage License
- $53 (cash only)
- Both applicants must have identification indicating proof of age (i.e.: valid driver's license, valid state ID card, birth certificate or passport)
- Birth city, county and state or foreign country
- Social Security number
- Father's first, middle and last name, current city and state of residence, and state or foreign country where born
- Mother's first, middle and maiden name, current city and state of residence, and state or foreign country where born
- If either applicant was previously married, the full name of the ex-spouse as well as place (county and state) and exact date of the divorce or death
Marriage License for Those 16 or 17 Years of Age
(See MCA 40-1-213.)
Follow above requirements with the following additions:
- Consent of parent(s) or legal guardian(s);
- Both parties must participate in a period of marriage counseling involving at least two separate counseling sessions not less than 10 days apart with a designated counselor;
- District Court Judge's approval.