- Departments G-Z
- Treasurer / Taxes
Treasurer / Taxes
Telephone inquiries may be made to 406-843-4212 or email.
NOTE: Be sure to verify you are searching for the correct tax year. Only enter one search item (last name or tax payer ID) entering more than one search item will bring an invalid search.
PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE!!
House Bill 18 was passed by the Montana Legislature. This changes the way delinquent taxes are processed and also changes the tax lien process. If delinquent taxes are not RECEIVED by 7-28-2023, (post mark is not accepted) a tax lien certificate will be filed in the Clerk and Recorder’s office for each tax bill on July 31st, 2023. Once a delinquent tax is paid after 7-28-2023, a redemption document will also have to be filed in the Clerk and Recorder’s office for each tax bill to redeem the lien. This is costly and time consuming. A $25.00 service charge will be added to the delinquent tax bill to cover the extra costs of this process.
Please pay your delinquent taxes before 7-28-2023.
If you have any questions, please contact the Treasurers Office.
Tax payments can be made by mailing them to the Treasurer's Office or at the window in our office in the administration building in Virginia City. You may also pay by credit card and e-check by calling (800)272-9829 or online using jurisdiction code 3614. Tax payments cannot be made at the local banks! Thank you for your cooperation.
Real Estate tax payments are due by November 30th of each year for the 1st half and May 31st for the second half. Mobile Home tax payments for 2023 are due by 05-31-2023 for the first half and 11-30-2023 for the second half.
Personal Property taxes for 2023 are due by June 30, 2023. Postmark accepted.
- $30 service charge added to each returned check, after two returned checks by the same customer they will be on a cash only basis for future payments.
- Military Suspension of Property Taxes (PDF)
- Mobile Home Ownership Change Request and Instructions (PDF)
- Motor Vehicle Department: Buying or Selling a Vehicle
- Property Tax Assistance Application (PDF)
- School Mills (PDF)
- Sheridan Alder Park District Assessment Appeal Form (PDF)
- State Parks Vehicle Registration Fee Refund Form
- Twin Bridges Park District Appeal Form (PDF)
- 2022 Certified Taxable Valuation Information