Household Recycling

We no longer recycle glass.

Recycling Bins or “Binnies” are located at most container sites. We accept the following materials for recycling:
  • Newspapers and their paper inserts, magazines, office paper, and phone books (remove metal binders) are accepted in the newspaper binnie.
  • Aluminum and steel cans all go into the same binnie. Please rinse well, labels are OK. no plastic bags please.
  • Cardboard can be taken to either the Ennis or Twin Bridges sites where it will be compacted into bales and recycled. The Sheridan and Virginia City sites have a cardboard container which is hauled to Twin Bridges for compacting. Boxes need to be flattened in order to fit into the bin.
  • Appliances: Please take all refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners to the Twin Bridges or Ennis container sites, where the freon will be removed free of charge by Madison County. The appliances will then be recycled.
  • Plastic No. 1 and No. 2 at the Ennis, Twin Bridges, Sheridan, and Virginia City container sites. Access more information (PDF).